by Leziel G. Bandiola and Bubot V. Sueta, MAY 2021
It has been one year and two months and counting since the Philippines declared a lockdown. By this long period, we have developed a routine and mastered the art of doing the right protocol.
A new season calls for a change of routine. Warm weather that can make our body more vulnerable to different types of diseases. Looking at the thread of the pandemic most of our medical experts tell us that we are threatened not anymore because of COVID but because of other illnesses that could not be catered to by the hospitals.
Here are five common summer diseases in the Philippines to watch out for:
- Heat Stroke. Though chances of being exposed to heatstroke have been limited because of the quarantine protocols of the pandemic, we are still not exempted especially this season of increasing hot weather. Let us avoid heat stroke by drinking at least 8-12 glasses of water a day. Water will keep us hydrated and neutralized the temperature in our body.
2. Flu. COVID-like symptoms such as colds and cough are also common and easily spread during the summer because of erratic weather that sometimes causes rain, DOH (Depart of Health) said.
3. Stomach Ailments. Foods are spoiled easily during hot or summer days. Though most of us have had already reached COVID fatigue, we are not yet fully been back to normal. As much as possible refrain from eating:
- Street foods/drinks
- Those that have been prepared beforehand such as takeouts and at restaurants
- Food with dairy product
These may be contaminated or have spoiled faster because of the warm temperature and we don’t even know how these food were prepared.
Common Sickness (same symptoms like covid)
The healthiest and safest way to eat our food is from your kitchen to your table.
4. Skin Disease. We sweat a lot during the summertime that causes a lot of skin irritations and skin diseases. We are to always maintain proper hygiene weather in any season because having good and maintained proper hygiene always combat any sickness.
Poor water intake may also cause other skin diseases or illnesses. Stay hydrated!
5. Rabies. Pet lovers, please take note that we, humans are not only been affected by the heat, same with our loving pets, they are also irritable during the hot season.
We should be responsible and make sure to maintain their anti-rabies vaccine, pet rabies is life-threatening.
As we hopefully wait for the full recovery of the world because of this pandemic, let’s continuously put our small effort into making our country COVID pandemic free.
Follow the protocol, maintain a healthy lifestyle and soon our effort will pay off, and again, we will enjoy a face mask and face shield-free environment.
About the writers:
Leziel G. Bandiola. On the job with ISO 9001 Quality Management System for more than five years and counting. Since I transferred here in MPTS I have been exposed to Environment, Safety and Health. I have been with the newsletter team for more than a year now, a lot of lesson was learned and more exciting facts to unveiled as I work with this growing team.<3
Bubot V. Sueta. Environment Safety and Health Specialist, father of three beautiful children, a loving and faithful husband…. Graduated in Centro Escolar University with a degree of Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication Major in Broadcast. A Safety Officer for 10 years. Safety at work and home are his priorities. Ensures that the Project Site are free from hazards, all workers at site are knowledgeable on their activity and have a core value of safety awareness. The goal is to deliver the project on time with Quality and most importantly with ZERO Loss Time Incident.