by Leziel G. Bandiola, Bubot V. Sueta, and EB Lorenzo B. Lusica, JANUARY 2022
As cities and provinces develop, our environment and natural resources tend to get compromised. Today’s generation faces a lot of environmental challenges, the most devastating one being global warming, affecting our planet. One of the causes for being the amount of waste generated daily that cannot be reused or even recycled. Here in the Philippines, we can already feel the impact of global warming.
This January, we are celebrating “National Zero Waste Month” and so, it’s very timely to acknowledge the efforts that our company is doing to support this environmental initiative.
- MPT South Hub is LEED GOLD Certified. Even during construction, we have been complying with LEED Standard Requirements and more to ensure that we will have less construction waste, and be able to reuse those that can still be recycled (i.e. plywood, concrete debris, etc.).
2. Waste Segregation. Garbage bins have been provided on designated at the Hub including other offices in CIC, Governor’s Drive, and Right-of-Way Field offices.
3. No to Plastic Food Waste. On our released memos, we encourage our employees to use and bring their own utensils such as tumblers, forks, spoons, and plates to reduce the one-time usage of paper or plastics utensils. In addition, our cafeteria does not have plastic straws as part of the requirements from the ordinances of different LGU’s in Cavite.
4. Use Reusable Cloth Facemask. We encourage our employees to wear fabric cloth masks for their double masking to reduce the daily disposals of medical waste brought by the pandemic.
5. Rainwater Harvesting System. A technology that collects and stores rainwater for human and/or environmental use. From the rainwater being collected and stored, it is being re-used to water our garden plants and other applicable outdoor-related activities.
6. Solar Panels. We have installed solar panels in our Site Development Area (parking lot), at the rooftop of MPT South Hive and Powerhouse bldg. area. With these solar panels installed, we are reducing air and water pollution cutting the need for non-renewable resources, hazardous wastes, and mitigating climate change that may come from the power plant energy source.
7. Building Management System. A computer-based control system that automatically controls many aspects of the building such as lights, fire protection and suppression, air condition units, fresh air handling units, and elevators – the benefits of having BMS are to manage illumination, cut energy costs, save on water costs, maintain a comfortable atmosphere, and keep our building secure.
This year 2022, the goal of our company is to achieve and be an ISO – Environmental Management System Certified. Together with the vision of our organization let us give our best and put our small efforts to have a resounding impact not just for today but most importantly on the next generations to come.
Environment is our common resource that is why we need to ensure that we are using it sustainably; it is intergenerational.Anonymous
The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased; and not impaired in value.Theodore Roosevelt
About the writers:
Leziel G. Bandiola. On the job with ISO 9001 Quality Management System for more than five years and counting. Since I transferred here in MPTS I have been exposed to Environment, Safety and Health. I have been with the newsletter team for more than a year now, a lot of lesson was learned and more exciting facts to unveiled as I work with this growing team.<3
Bubot V. Sueta. Environment Safety and Health Specialist, father of three beautiful children, a loving and faithful husband…. Graduated from Centro Escolar University with a degree of Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication Major in Broadcast. A Safety Officer for 10 years. Safety at work and home are his priorities. Ensures that the Project Site is free from hazards, all workers at the site are knowledgeable on their activity, and have a core value of safety awareness. The goal is to deliver the project on time with quality and most importantly with ZERO Loss Time Incident.
EB Lorenzo B. Lusica. A simple and loyal husband guided by three (3) ideal principles, to be a Leader, to be a Friend and to be of Service. With a strong construction safety background and experience to maintain a safe work environment and to ensure that the business is legally compliant to Environment, Safety, and Health laws and legislations.